Skip to main content

Mutual Divorce and its procedure.

Mutual Divorce is the simplest and easy way to end your marriage, as compared to a contested divorce, it saves significant time, economic and mental loss. Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 enumerates the law pertaining to divorce by mutual consent. Section 28 of the Special Marriage Act, 1954 and Section 10A of the Divorce Act, 1869, also provides for divorce by mutual consent.

Where to file?

As per Section 19 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 you can file the divorce petition before a civil court of a district-

1. Where the couple seeking divorce last resided together
2. Where the marriage took place
3. Where the wife is residing at present
4. Where the opposite party is residing at the time of presentation of the petition.

File a Joint Petition

A joint petition for dissolution of marriage and for a decree of divorce is to be filed before the appropriate court signed by both the parties stating that they are not being able to live together and mutually agreed to dissolve their marriage.

Appearance before Court (First motion)

Both parties will have to appear before the court and present their respective lawyers for further follow-ups. Both the parties will file statements and issues such as split of assets, custody of children, etc. will be settled. The court will critically observe the petition along with all the documents presented before it. After the petition is scrutinized by the court and it satisfies, an order on the first motion is passed by the court.  a six months (reconciliation) period is given to both the parties before they can file the second motion.

The maximum period to file for a second motion is 18 months from the date of presentation of the divorce petition in the family court. 

Second Motion

After the reconciliation period, if both parties still don’t agree to come together, then the parties can move for the second motion in the court for final hearing and decree of divorce.

*In a recent judgment, the Supreme Court has stated that the six months period is not mandatory and can be waived off depending upon the discretion of the court.

Decree of Divorce

If the Court is satisfied after hearing both the parties that there cannot be any possibility of reconciliation and cohabitation between the parties, then the Court may pass a decree of divorce declaring the marriage to be dissolved.

The divorce becomes final once the decree of divorce has been passed by the court.

If you want to consult a divorce lawyer we will help you to find one. Contact us

or visit for any legal assistance.


  1. It's very nice of you to share your knowledge through posts. I love to read stories about your experiences. They're very useful and interesting. I am excited to read the next posts. I'm so grateful for all that you've done. Keep plugging. Many viewers like me fancy your writing. Thank you for sharing precious information with us. Best criminal lawyers Bankstown service provider.

  2. A very delightful article that you have shared here. Your blog is a valuable and engaging article for us, and also I will share it with my companions who need this info. Thankful to you for sharing an article like this.Divorce Dispute Resolution in NSW

  3. The information in the post you posted here is useful because it contains some of the best information available. Thanks for sharing it. Keep up the good work Genuine Attempt Certificate in NSW.

  4. You've created an excellent post about divorce attorney bluffton. Your blog gave me some unique and useful information. Thank you for bringing this article to our attention.

  5. It is a proficient article that you have shared here. I got some different kind of information from your article which I will be sharing with my friends who need this info. Thankful to you for sharing an article like this Real Estate services Greensburg

  6. you are still legally obligated to take care of your child/children. The onus is still on you, as the parent, to have responsibility over your child and his/her upbringing in monetary terms, disregarding whether you have contact with your child or not. boutique family law firm london


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Contested Divorce and its procedure.

Contested divorce is a formal way of seeking a divorce from your spouse who is not agreeable to the idea of divorce. But the reasons for contested divorce shouldn’t be mere your choice to live separately, it should be reasonable ground to prove that the actions, behaviour, omissions or conduct of your spouse has annoyed you to the extent that it made you come to the conclusion that living together is not possible. Procedure and Court proceedings             For obtaining a contested divorce you need to consult a good and trustworthy divorce lawyer and explain the whole marital situation and difficulties you are facing in detail to him.             The divorce lawyer will prepare a Petition as per the facts and circumstances explained and narrated to him by you. You need to provide all the relevant documents and proof related to marriage and also the proofs supporting the allegation made in the divorce Petition             After completing all the formalities required in preparing the

Procedure of Divorce in India

   “They say marriages are made in heaven. But so is thunder and lightning.”  — Clint Eastwood Despite all your efforts and blessings, sometimes marriage could not reach out the commitments or the vows taken on your wedding day and it becomes vexing due to lack of understanding and misconduct of your partner. And when it becomes very difficult to proceed this journey together you opt for divorce, but parting your ways legally is not so easy. In India Marriage and Divorce laws vary for different religions and are governed by personal laws. The different laws regarding divorce are: - Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, Indian Divorce Act, 1869, Dissolution of Marriage Act,1939, Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936 and Special Marriage Act, 1954. According to the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955; If you and your spouse have mutually decided to part your ways legally, you can file for a ‘Mutual Divorce’,  and if the other party is not willing to get a divorce, you can file for a ‘Contested divorce’ on reaso