Skip to main content

Procedure of Divorce in India


“They say marriages are made in heaven. But so is thunder and lightning.” — Clint Eastwood

Despite all your efforts and blessings, sometimes marriage could not reach out the commitments or the vows taken on your wedding day and it becomes vexing due to lack of understanding and misconduct of your partner. And when it becomes very difficult to proceed this journey together you opt for divorce, but parting your ways legally is not so easy.

In India Marriage and Divorce laws vary for different religions and are governed by personal laws. The different laws regarding divorce are: - Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, Indian Divorce Act, 1869, Dissolution of Marriage Act,1939, Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936 and Special Marriage Act, 1954.

According to the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955; If you and your spouse have mutually decided to part your ways legally, you can file for a ‘Mutual Divorce’,  and if the other party is not willing to get a divorce, you can file for a ‘Contested divorce’ on reasonable grounds. Mutual Divorce is filed jointly by husband and wife whereas in a contested divorce, one party will file petition (Petitioner) for divorce while other will defend or oppose it(respondent). So you will need a single lawyer for filing a mutual divorce but it will require two different lawyers in case of a contested divorce.

Read our blog to know more about:

These are just articles to give you an outline of divorce and the procedures involved in it. But the entire procedure involves much more complexities and legal work, which is beyond the understandings of a layman. And these complexities varies from one case to another. These complexities involve allegation and grounds, counter and reply of such allegations, maintenance, custody of child, property and investments, etc. That’s why you need a good divorce lawyer for filing or defending a divorce case. 

How much time does it take?

Divorce by mutual consent usually takes 6 months to 12 months. It involves 6 months of cooling or reconciliation period between the first motion and second motion, this time is given by the court to  couples to reconsider their decision of getting divorce. But this cooling period can be waived off by the Court in some cases depending upon the discretion of the court.

*No such petition can be filed within one year of marriage. 

Whereas a contested divorce can take a much longer period, ranging between 2 to 5 years due to the complexities involved in it and numbers of date of hearing. Either of the parties can also challenge orders passed by the lower court in higher courts.


Women can avail free legal services by getting a lawyer from legal aid cell and also demand litigation expenses from husband through Court. Major cost involved in the process of divorce is Lawyer’s fee, which usually ranges from Rs 10,000 to 1.5 Lakh depending on the type of case, amount of legal work needed, duration involved and ofcourse the experience of the lawyer.

So think wisely while selecting a divorce lawyer.

We will help you to find a divorce lawyer according to your requirements. Contact us.

Court Proceedings and Steps

In mutual divorce:
  • Filing of the petition(First motion).
  • Reconciliation (Cooling off) period, i.e. 6 months.
  • Second motion.
  • Decree of divorce.
In Contested Divorce:
  • Filing of the petition.
  • Issuance of notice to other party.
  • Recording of statements of parties
  • Examination and cross-examination of witnesses and evidences.
  • Decree of divorce


If you want to consult a divorce lawyer we will help you to find one. Contact us

or visit for any legal assistance.


  1. Glad I got the chance to read this. More power to your pen.

  2. This is such a good information. People usually get misguided by other people. Thanks for such a broad & descriptive explanation.
    I hope one who is struggling in such situations will find it helpful.
    Thanks to for such. Great initiative.
    Keep writing these blogs so that we people who have no legal knowledge will be able to get benefited.

  3. Different jurisdictions may have different laws, but an effective child support lawyer will be able to put up the case confidently. One can also take help of child support agencies if required. child custody solicitors near me


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Contested Divorce and its procedure.

Contested divorce is a formal way of seeking a divorce from your spouse who is not agreeable to the idea of divorce. But the reasons for contested divorce shouldn’t be mere your choice to live separately, it should be reasonable ground to prove that the actions, behaviour, omissions or conduct of your spouse has annoyed you to the extent that it made you come to the conclusion that living together is not possible. Procedure and Court proceedings             For obtaining a contested divorce you need to consult a good and trustworthy divorce lawyer and explain the whole marital situation and difficulties you are facing in detail to him.             The divorce lawyer will prepare a Petition as per the facts and circumstances explained and narrated to him by you. You need to provide all the relevant documents and proof related to marriage and also the proofs supporting the allegation made in the divorce Petition             After completing all the formalities required in preparing the

Mutual Divorce and its procedure.

Mutual Divorce is the simplest and easy way to end your marriage, as compared to a contested divorce, it saves significant time, economic and mental loss. Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 enumerates the law pertaining to divorce by mutual consent. Section 28 of the Special Marriage Act, 1954 and Section 10A of the Divorce Act, 1869, also provides for divorce by mutual consent. Where to file? As per Section 19 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 you can file the divorce petition before a civil court of a district- 1. Where the couple seeking divorce last resided together 2. Where the marriage took place 3. Where the wife is residing at present 4. Where the opposite party is residing at the time of presentation of the petition. File a Joint Petition A joint petition for dissolution of marriage and for a decree of divorce is to be filed before the appropriate court signed by both the parties stating that they are not being able to live together and mutually agreed to dissolve thei